Welcome to Senior English & Film!
This site is your home base for information about the course and assignments. Below you will find our documents from our initial unit on becoming acquainted with film and its language. As we move into new units, subpages will be created and updated with documents and assignments.
- What does it mean to be an engaged, active viewer in the 21st century?
- How is our understanding of the world both impacted by and reflected in images? What is the nature of this relationship?
- How are media messages constructed using a creative language to convey unique points of view?
- What composition skills are necessary to effectively communicate and participate in today’s world?
What you should know because of this unit:
- Define and use film terminology accurately
- Identify a director’s purpose in using a variety of image making techniques
- Analyze scenes and films based on the director and cinematographer’s techniques and decisions
- Anatomy of a Scene using a Hitchcock film of your choosing
- Film Questionnaire & Film Terminology Pre-test
- Syllabus Review
Film Terminology presentation
Film term presentation cont. (pick up with “score”)
Film term presentation cont.
Learning elements of mise-en-scene project (on google classroom)
- Read your assigned section
- Identify key terms and main ideas
- Start to plan/script out video
- What clips will you use?
- How will you organize your information?
- Analyzing scene/film still
Working on project with partner(s)
In-class work day
HW: Project due Tuesday at beginning of class
Mise projects due
Hitchcock on Hitchcock
Reading your assigned section with your group
- Main ideas
- Define key terms
- Confusing info or questions your have about his statements
- Find clips online he is discussing to apply the main ideas
- bottom 287-290
- 294-top 297
HW: Review 5 of the videos for film terms on mise-en-scene
Presenting Hitch on Hitch and reviewing clips from films
HW: Review the rest of the videos for film terms on mise-en-scene
Film term review
Intro to North by Northwest
HW: Hitchcock on Dick Cavett – Take notes on the following clip of Hitchcock on Dick Cavett
- What new understanding do you have about Hitchcock’s approach to cinema from this clip?
- What new terms does he explain/use?
Overview of final assignment
Introduction to Rear Window and discussion questions
- What is Hitchcock’s purpose with Rear Window? What is he trying to say?
- How does he construct and achieve this purpose?
- Film Techniques
HW: Locate and start watching film for Hitchcock project. Film should be completely viewed with accompanying notes for Friday’s class.
cont. North by Northwest
HW: cont. watching and notetaking other Hitchcock film
finish North by Northwest
HW: cont. watching and notetaking on other Hitch film
Writing a response to North by Northwest