This unit is focused on the act of looking and the role of images and representations in our world. After studying current cultural theory about images, we will apply these concepts to our viewing of films.
- What is the human impulse to reproduce the world around us in image form?
- What is the value of art?
- What is the tension between an “original” and a “reproduction”?
- What truth is captured in an image?
What you should be able to do as a result of this unit
- Articulate your understanding of the need and desire for humans to create re-images of their world
- Define your own idea of the value of art
- Discuss and analyze the different ways cinema captures a “truth”
Intro to Unit
- Review essential questions & initial responses
- 12 Years a Slave