- What is the human impulse to re-present the world around us in image form?
- What is the value of art?
- Is an image able to capture “truth”?
- What meaning does an “original” contain? What meaning does a “reproduction” have?
Students will know and be able to…
- Define and discuss current topics and terms of visual culture
- Apply the concepts of visual culture to the films and readings part of this unit
Intro to Visual Culture
What is the human impulse to re-present the world around us?
What is art? Is this art?
- Define what art is
- Evaluate images and whether they are art or not
Reading Mary Anne Staniszewski’s Chapter “What is Art” from Believing Is Seeing
HW: Response in classroom – According to Staniszewski, why is Duchamp’s Fountain Art?
cont. What is art?
Watching an excerpt of Cave of Forgotten Dreams (9.20-19.02 & 38-48)
- What is the human impulse to create images?
HW: Reading and annotating the introduction to Practices of Looking
Reading and annotating Practices of Looking
Working with your group on a poster that focused on the ideas in your section
Group – Identifying the main ideas in Practices of Looking
- Images, Power, Politics and Representation 9-16
- Myth of Photographic Truth 16-22
- Images & Ideology 22-26
- Negotiating Meaning 26-33
- Value of Images 34-36
- Image Icons 36-46
- Working with your assigned group, you will identify the new and significant information, key terms, and confusing information
- Apply the information to discuss one of the images from the text
- Decide on one image to use to help support the core concept from your section.
Presentations on Practices of Looking
Wed 12/4 – Thurs 12/5
Receive drafts back, revise, and create Adobe Spark page
Viewing Guide to Ways of Seeing episode 1
Introduction to Exit through the Gift Shop
- Who is Thierry? What did he do prior to becoming Mr. Brainwash? How is he portrayed in the film??
- Who is Banksy? How is he portrayed in the film?
- What do the signifiers of the documentary genre signify in the film? How is Banksy working and perhaps even appropriating the documentary sign?
Introduction to contemporary topics assignment
HW: Revising Dancer review due tomorrow
What concept(s) of visual culture are present in the film? Remember Banksy is the director – the creator. So what concept is he addressing?
HW: Writing Reflection for homework
Thurs 12/12 – Friday 12/13
finish Exit and connecting using the film to discuss concepts of visual culture from Practices of Looking and Berger
HW: Is one more art than the other?
Discussion of Exit Through the Gift Shop
Tues 12/17-Fri 12/20
Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened
- How does this film relate to the concepts of this unit?
- Applying quotes from readings
HW: Plato’s Allegory of the Cave & questions
Starting Marie Antoinette or Children of Men
- How is the film constructed?
- What seems to be his/her purpose with the film?
- How does s/he use a variety of elements and techniques to construct that purpose?
- What concepts of visual culture is the director working with?
- What connections do you see with how Cuarón/Coppola works with images and the way Banksy and other street artists may work with images?
Mon 1/6 – Wed 1/8
Creating the cave, continuing films, and writing the response
Overview of final assignment